Monday, June 15, 2009

Baptism of my son, Zebedee


Zebedee, my eight year old son, had told me recently of how God had "touched his heart" because he "used to hate church" but was now "enjoying church and prayer meetings." I had told him that I was thankful but was cautious not to overdo my enthusiasm because I did not want his motive to be my pleasure and approval. On Sunday morning (June 7) I noticed Zeb was emotional and shedding tears during the invitational hymn. At Eureka we hold a handshake where the congregation comes around and shakes the preacher's hand after or during the invitational hymn. As Zeb came around he expressed his desire for baptism. I questioned Zeb publicly concerning his faith in Christ, his knowledge that he was a sinner, and of his desire to live for the glory of Christ. Zeb's answers satisfied the church and I had the privilege of baptizing him in the evening service.


Time will manifest if Zeb's profession was Spirit induced, and it is the present hope of his parents that his profession was because the omnipotent Spirit has drawn him to Christ and the Lord was pleased to hear the prayers of his parents concerning his salvation; a prayer that has been offered to the Lord every day of his life since his birth (and even prior after we knew of his conception). Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment