Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Writings of James Osbourn

In my library I have four books written by James Osbourn. James Osbourn was born in England in 1780, sat under the ministry of the celebrated William Huntington, and converted under the ministry of John Harm. Later, Osbourn moved to America and was blessed to preach extensively and to write several books. Historian Sylvster Hassell said of him that he "was an Englishman, who traveled and preached much , and wrote many religious books." He was a part of the presbytery that ordained Sylveter Hassell's father, C. B. Hassell. Osbourn's autobiography is "The Lawful Captive Delivered." I will try to post some excerpts and make a few comments as I read through the book.

"Whereas, it is now my intention to set forth in order before the Church of Christ, an account of the gracious dealings of God with my soul, from the commencement of my inward trouble and distress from a sense of sin and of my lost condition; surely a recital of some little things connected with the first few years of my natural life will not be irrelevant; especially as it is my wish that the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ should appear with all the advantages which it assumed when it rescued my soul from ruin. Besides, grace stands so high in my estimation, that I am willing to set forth its aboundings in a way as answerable to its vast worth as I am capable of; and thankful I am to Almighty God, that I have here something to say in commendation of that special grace which saveth sinners from endless woe, and which hath raised me from a low condition, that I 'should walk in newness of life' (Romans 6:4)." The Lawful Captive Delivered, Part I

Comment---Not all, or even most, of us have written an autobiography, but all of us that have been delivered from sin's guilt and power have a narrative of God's grace we should express. May each of us express that testimony with our lips and also by walking in the light and power of Christ and His "special grace which saveth sinners from endless woe."

No comments:

Post a Comment