Sunday, April 19, 2009

James Osbourn-"The Lawful Captive Delivered"

"I also in those days experienced some very narrow escapes from death in different ways, which manifestly declared the providential care of the Lord over me when in a blind and ignorant state; but I saw not the hand of God in those matters, though at times he hath made me tremble by causing death and another world to make so powerful a seizure of my mind as to cause me to look with dread on futurity. By how anyone could avoid sinking down into a world of misery, I knew nothing about; nor was there, as I said before, any person in the parish as I ever heard of that could teach me the way of life. And thus I had to stumble upon the dark mountains without a guide for my feet. But still I believe that God's eye was upon me, and that in all my wanderings, he never once lost sight of me, but followed me with judgments and mercies, and took special care of me when I could not take care of myself." (p.8)

James Osbourn in his autobiography, "A Lawful Captive Delivered," expresses God's government and protection over his natural life before his conversion. How reassuring to realize God will not lose a single soul that has been chosen to salvation (2 Thess. 2:13; John 6:37). In order to accomplish the application of redemption God will protect that person's life until the work of God has been effectually given to the soul. Peter expresses this point in 2 Peter 3:9:

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

I know that some have thought God's will in this verse was His desire to save but the accomplishment of actual deliverance was contingent upon the sinner's will. However, Peter is writing of God's decree or will that shall come to pass (Isa. 46:9, 10) upon the us-ward, or the elect (1 Peter 1:2) and beloved (2 Peter 3:1). God will certainly bring all of the elect to repentance so that none perish. He accomplishes this by preserving our natural lives until that experience and assuring the experience by irresistible grace (John 10:27-29).

No comments:

Post a Comment