Thursday, May 21, 2009

"The Lawful Captive Delivered" pp 34, 35

James Osbourn, in his autobiography, detailed how he labored exceedingly to cleanse his heart before God and merit God's favor through his own righteousness. He labored legalistically until he gave His soul into the hands of the great Physician. He would later write a poem describing his conversion which I share with you in part:

"At length the dear Savior of sinners appear'd,
With balm in his hand for my smart;
And from me he banish'd the evils I fear'd,
And bound up the wound in my heart.

And here I obtain'd a divorce from the law,
And freedom from terror and dread;
And in the clear light of the gospel I saw
My soul unto Jesus was wed.

And to me this Jesus was lovely and sweet,
And brighter by far than the sun;
And gladly I bow'd myself down at his feet,
And thank'd him for what he had done.

And while was there I discover'd that grace
Was then at my humble request;
For to me he said, with a smile in his face,
'My bosom's the place of thy rest.

And here thou in safety may take thy repose,
And feast on ineffable love;
Though this is a favour I grant but to those
Who're born unto me from above.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment